I was feeling adventurous this week and tried out this spicy shrimp & blueberry salad.I will say, it is one of the most beautiful salads I’ve made in a while. So colorful!On the actual taste front, though, I’d just say it’s so-so. The variety of herbs in this salad is lovely, but it’s still missing something… I can’t quite put my finger on it. Well, actually I can. The recipe says “jalepeno-orange dressing,” but there are zero jalepenos in the ingredients list.The second time I tried this salad, I added a sprinkle of sunflower seeds and a big squirt of lemon to boost the texture and flavor. Much better. 3.5 out of 5 stars.
4.5 out of 5 stars to B Too, a new spot in the U St./14th St. area. It’s a Belgian place that has lots of deep-fried goodies, and, of course, waffles. And beer. I took off half a star because the service was sort of slow and like a true critic, I never give anything 5 stars.The décor is pretty typical for that part of town — cozy and hip with a big ole’ bar.Perfect for happy hour! My friend Jessie and I spent quite some time gabbing and drinking there.Side note: I am doing my own hair for the wedding and am working on my French braid skills. It is a serious arm workout!
Speaking of workout: Just some boring gym stuff on the menu today… but in running news I decided at 5 a.m. this morning to register for this half marathon. 13.1 miles through Amish country, complete with horse and buggy? Doesn’t get better than that.
Have a wonderful Wednesday!
- Salad recommendations? I always like to try new mixes!
- In your town, what are typical happy hour hours/prices? (In DC most spots keep happy hour prices until 6:30 or 7 and a happy hour beer costs about $4-$5.)
- What race(s) are you training for right now?
- Greatist: 13 unexpected ways to fit cardio into your routine
- Runner’s World: BAA hopeful about bigger 2014 Boston Marathon
- Washington Post: Take a stroll down the new 14th St. (related: PopVille’s photos of U St. from 1991)